Friday, September 29, 2017

Back to the USA

It's a cool, clear morning to pack up and head back to the USA - but first - BREAKFAST!  We went back to Octopus's Garden for a most delicious breakfast.  I had my fave - eggs benedict - a  real treat! The first pic of the day will be from the door of the bathroom.  I got a huge kick, and great pleasure out of this sign after all the talk about who gets to pee where in the US.  Love it!


Our daughter-in-law spent some of her growing up years in New Brunswick and asked if they still had their world famous sticky buns.  We had seen the sign the day before but didn't stop.  So since they were so special to her, we decided to stop and get one for dessert later.  Unfortunately they were not open till 10, so we had to settle for a nostalgic picture of the sign to send her.  


Then we hit the road - seeing more and more color in the trees now.


We crossed into the USA with just a few questions and a glance at our passport - we were thru in about 10 min with one car ahead of us.  We had planned to stop and have lunch near the border at a spot Bill had seen on trip advisor.  It was a local diner, and our plan was to get lunch and make our waitress's day special by giving her a tremendous tip and just leave the remainder of our Canadian money for her.... we had maybe about $50.  Unfortunately it was packed - not a spot anywhere so we headed on down the road.  We'll hold on to the money for another trip or the trip of a friend, but oh how we wanted to make a waitress happy.  So we stopped at a "rest stop" just into Maine, which we had stopped at on the way up.  It was basically a hut next to a business and was maintained by the business.   It wasn't swanky but it got the job done.  The business was a "snack stop, camp store, restaurant" so I looked it up on trip advisor.  At quick glance it was definitely a local place with decent food and good prices.  So we'll try it.  WELL..... it was the MOST redneck place I have EVER been.  The walls were covered with signs that said things like we are rednecks here and you will find guns, prayer, and the national anthem.  Another said vegetarian is another word for bad hunter.  They were raffling off a semi-automatic weapon but had the note that you must be able to pass the background check to win it.  A guy came in and loudly proclaimed "Black Flies Matter - I'd love to have that shirt for where I'm going".  I found myself wanting to get the heck out of there as fast as possible and thought if I were a person of color I would NOT feel comfortable here.  Hell, I'm a white woman and I don't feel comfortable here.  So as soon as I took my last bite I bolted leaving Bill to finish his homemade pie which is what they apparently do best.  Another couple of hours and we are checked into our hotel in Bar Harbor.  Let the Maine fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment